Shoulder or Crossbody bag? Which One Is Best For You?
When it comes to choosing the right type of bag, there are many factors to consider. But one of your most important choices is between a crossbody bag and a shoulder bag. However, the difference between crossbody and shoulder bags can make a big difference in choosing the best bag for the day ahead.
Crossbody vs. Shoulder bag
A crossbody bag takes its name from the way it’s worn – it drapes across your torso from shoulder to hip. A womenswear staple, the crossbody ranges in styles, materials, colors, and utility. Some are meant to contain just your phone, ID, keys, and lipstick, while others have enough space to seemingly hold the whole world at your fingertips. An excellent option for everyday use, crossbody bags are best for heading to the store or for taking on a weekend getaway. Today’s crossbody bag is as fashionable as it is functional, available in sizes and styles that complement even the most discerning of tastes.
Benefits of carrying a crossbody bag:
- They're more comfortable to wear since the weight is evenly distributed across your body.
- They're more secure because you can wear them in front of you and always keep an eye on them.
- They're more stylish and come in a variety of designs.
A shoulder bag is carried on one side of your body, nestled between your arm and your side. A single strap or top handle just long enough to sling over your shoulder – hence the bag’s name – is attached to the top. Typically smaller than totes and other handbags, a shoulder bag is the hands-free go-to option for more formal occasions or any time when you don’t have to carry more than a few items with you. If you typically carry only the basics, a shoulder bag may make a great everyday option. A shoulder bag, however, is specifically designed for this way of carrying a bag, with a single strap, a smaller size, and a top that zippers or otherwise closes.
Benefits of carrying a shoulder bag:
- They're easier to access because you can just reach down and grab whatever you need without taking the bag off your body.
- They're more formal and are often seen as more sophisticated than crossbody bags.
Who should wear a crossbody bag?
Just about anyone! Whether you're a busy mom on the go, a college student running to class, or a traveler exploring a new city, a crossbody bag can be a great option. Luxury crossbody bags like the iconic luxury designer handbags JOANIE and JANE by MILA are an excellent choice if you're looking for a bag to keep your belongings safe and secure and leave your hands free to do other things.
Who should wear a shoulder bag?
Anyone and everyone! Shoulder bags are versatile, stylish, and practical. Whether you're after a new everyday bag or a special occasion bag, a shoulder bag is a great option. Luxury shoulder bags such as the EMMA handbag by MILA will help you to stay organized at work, travel, or leisure and are designed to carry all of the essentials (wallet, lipstick, sunglasses, phone, etc.) for the day. If you prefer a more compact style, this bag is ideal
Which type of bag suits me?
There’s no right or wrong choice when it comes to your new crossbody or shoulder bag. Each boasts its own benefits and advantages befitting the situation at hand. Factors like the occasion, the versatility of the bag, when and where you plan to carry it, and your personal preferences shape if the cross-body or a shoulder is best. Consider what you’re doing and how your bag plays into those plans. Will the right bag make your day easier or weigh you down? Try these questions if you’re still undecided:
- How much do you need to take with you?
- Do you plan to carry items from your destination back home?
- Does the destination have a dress code or expectation of dress?
- Are there other practical considerations to make?Crossbody bags and shoulder bags are both great choices for everyday use. They both have benefits and drawbacks that should be considered before purchasing. Crossbody bags are typically more comfortable to wear, as they distribute the weight evenly across the body. However, shoulder bags are often more stylish and can hold more items. Ultimately, the decision of which type of bag to buy depends on the individual's needs and preferences.